Woo-hoo! It's time to talk about email marketing and ten awesome email marketing best practices!
Are you tired of sending emails that end up in the depths of your recipient's spam folder? Well, don't worry, my friend, because I'm here to share ten awesome email marketing best practices that will help you skyrocket your open rates and engagement.
1. Have a Solid Strategy in Place
Before you dive into the world of implementing these ten awesome email marketing best practices, it's essential to start with number 1: have a solid strategy in place. A well-thought-out strategy will help you stay focused and achieve your desired outcomes. Here are some key elements to consider when developing your awesome email marketing strategy:
- Define your goals: What do you want to achieve through your email marketing campaigns? Is it to increase sales, drive traffic to your website, or build brand awareness? Clearly defining your goals will help you create campaigns that are aligned with your objectives.
- Segment your list: Segmenting your list allows you to create more targeted and relevant campaigns. This can be done based on demographics, behaviour, or any other relevant information. Read more about this in point 2 and point 5.
- Determine your frequency: How often will you send emails to your subscribers? Will you send a weekly newsletter or monthly promotional emails? Be sure to consider both your goals and your audience when determining your email frequency. More on this in point 6.
- Plan your content: What types of content will you include in your emails? Will you feature product promotions, educational articles, or customer testimonials? Having a content plan in place will help ensure that your emails are consistent and relevant.
- Measure and adjust: Continuously measuring and adjusting your email marketing campaigns is critical for success. Use data and insights to make informed decisions about what's working and what's not, and make adjustments accordingly. There's more about this in point 9.
By taking the time to develop an awesome email marketing strategy, you'll be able to create campaigns that are focused, effective, and successful. Good luck!
2. Know Your List (aka your readers, aka your ideal clients)
Now that you have a strategy in place, it's time to get to know your list/subscribers. Understanding who your subscribers are and what they want will help you create campaigns that are both relevant and engaging.
Ideally, your subscribers are your ideal clients (ie your target market).
Here are some key factors to consider:
- Demographics: Who are your subscribers? What is their age, gender, location, and job title? Understanding your audience's demographics will help you create campaigns that are tailored to their needs and interests.
- Interests: What are your subscribers interested in? What types of products or services do they purchase, and what are their hobbies and passions? Understanding your audience's interests will help you create campaigns that are more relevant and engaging.
- Pain points: What problems do your subscribers face? What are their biggest challenges, and how can you help solve them? Understanding your audience's pain points will help you create campaigns that offer real value and solutions.
By taking the time to get to know your audience, you'll be able to create campaigns that are more relevant, engaging, effective, and awesome!
3. Choose the Right Email Platform
The success of your email marketing campaigns also depends on choosing the right email platform. There are several options available, each with its own set of features and benefits, so it's important to consider your needs and budget when making a decision. Here are some popular options:
- Mailchimp: This is a great platform for small businesses and individuals, offering a free plan for up to 500 subscribers and 1000 emails per month.
- Constant Contact: This platform offers a range of features, including email automation, A/B testing, and a variety of templates. It also has a 60-day free trial, making it a good choice for businesses just starting out.
- Campaign Monitor: This platform is popular for its robust reporting and analytics capabilities, making it a great choice.
There are at least ten awesome email marketing platforms out there to support you in implementing your ten awesome email marketing best practices. So, go do some research and choose the platform that will suit your business (and your awesome email marketing strategy) best.
4. Showcase your Personality
When it comes to creating awesome emails, think of your email marketing as an extension of your brand's personality.
Just like in real life, it's important to be consistent and true to who you are.
Whether you're quirky, professional, or somewhere in between, make sure your emails reflect your brand's unique voice and style.
Also, make sure you use your brand's colours, fonts, and imagery to create a cohesive look, and don't be afraid to let your personality shine through in your subject lines, content, and call-to-actions.
By staying on-brand, you'll create a memorable and enjoyable experience for your subscribers, and they'll be more likely to engage with your emails and become awesome, loyal customers.
5. Keep It Simple and Straightforward
Simplicity is key when it comes to email marketing and implementing ten awesome email marketing best practices.
Your subscribers are bombarded with countless emails every day, so it's essential to make sure that your messages stand out.
Here are some tips to help you keep your emails simple and straightforward:
- Clear subject line: Your subject line is the first thing that your subscribers will see, so it's crucial to make it clear and to the point. Avoid using jargon or obscure language, and instead, opt for a subject line that clearly communicates the main message of your email.
- Easy to read and understand: Make sure that your emails are easy to read and understand. Use short paragraphs, bullet points, and images to break up the text and make it more visually appealing. This will help keep your subscribers engaged and ensure that your message is communicated effectively.
- Focus on one or two key messages: It's important to keep the focus on one or two key messages to avoid overwhelming your subscribers. This will help ensure that your message is clear and that your subscribers are more likely to take action.
- Avoid clutter: Keep your emails free of clutter by limiting the number of links, images, and calls to action. This will help keep your subscribers focused and will increase the chances of them taking action.
By keeping your emails simple and straightforward, you'll be able to create awesome messages that are more effective and engaging.
Your subscribers will appreciate the clear and concise approach, and you'll be able to achieve your desired outcomes more easily.
6. Personalise, Personalise, Personalise
In the world of email marketing, personalisation is king… and the most awesome thing you can do!
Adding a personal touch to your emails can make a world of difference when it comes to getting your subscribers to open and engage with your messages.
Here are some tips to help you personalise your emails:
- Use names: Including the recipient's name in the subject line or greeting of your email can make a huge impact. It's a simple way to make your subscribers feel like they're receiving a message that's specifically for them.
- Location, location, location: If you have the data, consider using your subscribers' locations to personalise your emails. For example, you could mention the weather in their area or highlight a local event that they might be interested in.
- Get personal with their interests: If you know what your subscribers are interested in, use that information to personalise your emails. For example, if they've expressed interest in a certain product or topic, make sure to include information or offers related to that in your emails.
- Dynamic content: Use dynamic content to display different information based on the recipient's behaviour or preferences. For example, you could show different products or offers based on their purchase history or interests.
Personalising your emails can take your marketing efforts to the next level of awesomeness! Your subscribers will feel appreciated and valued, and you'll be more likely to achieve your desired outcomes.
So, go ahead and get creative with personalising your emails!
7. Timing is Everything!
Now… when it comes to email marketing, timing is everything!
Sending your emails at the right time can make a big difference in terms of open rates and engagement.
Here are some tips to help you get your timing right:
- Experimentation is key: Test different days and times to see when your audience is most engaged. This will help you determine the best time to send your emails.
- Keep your ideal clients (your subscribers) in mind: Different industries and target audiences may have different optimal times for sending emails. For example, B2B businesses might see better results by sending emails during the workweek, while B2C businesses might see better results by sending emails on the weekends.
- Keep an eye on your data: Use your email marketing data to track the success of your emails and make adjustments as needed. This will help you continually refine your approach and find the best timing for your audience.
By paying attention to timing, you'll be able to get some awesome results from your email marketing efforts. So, don't be afraid to experiment and find the right timing for your audience!
8. Make It Easy to Say Goodbye (But Not Really!)
Sometimes, things just don't work out. And that's okay!
The same can be true for email marketing. You may have subscribers who are just not that into you anymore.
Instead of holding onto them and potentially hurting your awesome email reputation, it's best to make it easy for them to say goodbye.
- A clean email list is a healthy email list: If someone is no longer interested in your emails, it's better for them to unsubscribe than to mark your emails as spam. This helps you maintain a clean email list that is more likely to engage with your emails.
- Keep your reputation intact: If a large number of people mark your emails as spam, it can hurt your sending reputation and make it more difficult for you to reach the people who are still interested in your emails. By making it easy for people to unsubscribe, you can help protect your awesome reputation.
- A fresh start: By removing the people who are no longer interested in your emails, you can focus on building a more engaged, awesome, and interested email list. This will help you get better results from your email marketing efforts.
- Importantly, not only is having an unsubscribe option best for your email list's health and reputation, but it's also a legal* requirement. So, make sure to include an unsubscribe link in every email to comply with the law and respect the choices and privacy of your subscribers. *Note, I'm not a lawyer and the information provided here is for general informational purposes only.
So, while it may seem counterintuitive, giving your subscribers the option to unsubscribe can actually improve the overall health of your email list. So, don't be afraid to make it easy for people to say goodbye, and focus on building an awesome and engaged email list!
9. Make Your Call to Action (CTA) Crystal Clear
Every email you send should have a clear purpose, and your call to action (CTA) is the way to make that purpose known to your subscribers.
Make sure your CTA is bold, eye-catching, and easy to understand, so your subscribers know exactly what you want them to do next.
Whether you want your subscribers to make a purchase, sign up for your newsletter, or attend an event, make sure your CTA is front and centre in your email.
Think of your CTA as the “big boss” of your email, telling your subscribers what action to take. Make it big, bright, and bold, and place it in a location where it can't be missed. The clearer your CTA, the more likely your subscribers will be to follow through!
So go ahead, get creative, and make sure your CTAs are so attention-grabbing, your subscribers will be itching to take action!
10. Measure and Improve
Finally, to make sure you're always reaching your full potential of awesomeness, it's important to measure and improve your email campaigns regularly.
That means it's time to put on your detective hat and get to the bottom of how your emails are performing.
Luckily, most email marketing platforms have the tools available that make it easy to track your open rates, click-through rates, and conversion rates.
With this information, you'll be able to see what's working and what's not, so you can make those all-important data-driven decisions about your future campaigns.
Think of it this way, every email you send is like a science experiment. You make a hypothesis, run the experiment (i.e. send the email), gather the data, analyse it, and then use that information to make improvements for your next experiment.
It's a never-ending cycle of improvement, and the best part is, the more you measure and improve, the more awesome and successful your email campaigns will become!
That's a wrap!
So there you have it! Ten awesome email marketing best practices that will help you skyrocket your open rates and engagement.
Don't just take my word for it, give them a try and see for yourself! Remember, email marketing is all about connecting with your subscribers and building relationships, so have fun with it and let your awesome personality shine through.
And, if you're feeling stuck or need some guidance, you know who to call (hint: it's me! Book a coffee catch up below.).
So go ahead, start sending those awesome emails, and watch your business soar!