Writing your About page. It can be really hard writing about yourself and your business. Most of us find it easier to talk (and write) about someone else.
But don’t worry – I’m here to help with these three simple steps.
- Start by answering the questions below to create the About content for your website.
- When putting your content together, try using the headings that each of the questions relates to.
- Turn your answers to those questions into a story for each section.
Let's get started.
In other words, what do you stand for?
Why do you do what you do?
Why did you start your business?
What are your values?
What is your vision?
What is your mission?
How I/We Help
What keeps your clients up at night?
How do you solve that?
Why should people choose to work with/buy from you?
What I/We do
What services or products do you offer?
What skills have you developed that provide benefits to your clients?
How did you get those skills?
- Make sure you include a photo of yourself so people can make a stronger connection to you.
- Place a call-to-action at the bottom of the page. For example, “Let’s talk about how I/We/Business Name can help you.”
- Use your own voice. Make sure your copy sounds like (and is recognisable as) you and your brand. You don’t want to be sounding like someone else has written your About page for you.
- Try not to use corporate-speak or industry jargon. This is different to tone of voice. Your tone of voice should sound like you (refer above point) and be on brand.
- If it’s part of your brand, feel free to add humour or be a little funny.
- Don’t waffle. Keep your content brief, to the point. If it ends up to long, review and cut out unnecessary content. And be ruthless about this.
Writing your About page needn't be a daunting task. By really understanding your ‘why', how you help your clients, and what you do, you can create a story that truly connects with your clients and ideal clients.
Remember to keep your About page authentic, relatable, and succinct. Your About page is a chance to connect, engage, and build trust. Craft it thoughtfully to make a lasting impact on your ideal client.
Let's tell your story and create a meaningful connection!